Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

33/53, teeth and renewed independence

Teefers!!

Yesterday and today I went to the mall in Sindelfingen. Yesterday I went because I wanted to go to H&M and look at some things and today because I had to return some things that I shouldn't have bought yesterday. Both days I went by myself (well, with a baby in tow... but since he can't tell me how awful a shirt looks or talk about the crazy people we see at the mall I'm not counting him as a plus one here).
I usually prefer to go shopping with someone else. Shopping is the ideal group activity. Plus, it's always helpful to have someone (I mean my husband) push Rhett around while I shop the sale racks and try on a variety of items in the dressing room. If it's not my husband, I usually go with a friend. Nothing says 'lovely afternoon' like a lunch with a girlfriend and a few new purchases. I also usually like to shop or go out in Deutschland in a group. Power in numbers, people. Maybe it's because even after 2 years and 4 months in Germany it still does not feel like home. I sometimes wonder (and may have learned to accept) that this is my coping mechanism for the life we plan to lead. More than likely, Chad and I will be moving pretty darn frequently. It's possible this mechanism will in turn make moving easier. I don't know. What I do know is that every time my husband leaves for any significant period of time I always have a renewed sense of independence. Even when it comes to little things like checking the mail and putting gas in my car (both of which my husband usually does) I feel a little more empowered than before. Going places and doing things.... whatever they may be... by oneself does something good to restore the independence and strength that you know you have but that you seldom initiate because it's more fun to be with your significant other (which is true).
Although it's a lot more enjoyable watching your husband gag as he removes a gelatinous hairball from the shower drain or when he has the pleasure of enduring the smell of week old trash on his drive to work in the morning, there is something said about being able to tackle those tasks when he can't.
I still got it.
Better yet- I do all that while taking care of a baby, a house, and two dogs in a foreign country while working.
It's just the life of another military spouse.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...