Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Humidity, Yaki Mandu & Patbingsu

So I wish I could say we've been out exploring and doing all these wonderfully fantastic day trips but I would be lying. We are surviving. Indoors mostly. Barely.
The humidity sucks. That is no exaggeration. Actually I'm being kind.
I thought Louisiana in June was humid. Texas in August. Virginia in April. Summer in Germany while pregnant.
No.
No place prepares you for Korea's summer humidity surrounded by rice paddies in the middle of monsoon season.
In the morning when Rhett comes running into my arms for his first hug of the day and there's that awkward skin to skin friction thing that happens.... it hurts. Badly. Feels like my epidermis is being torn away. Again, I'm not exaggerating today.
Last night after a particularly hot and stressful evening I told Chad I couldn't take it anymore and to turn on the A/C. It was glorious while it lasted.
Today, however, we are back to our energy saving ways and mustering through our no A/C days.
Besides sweating 24 hours a day, here's what we've been up to...
----------------
Walking around our new neighborhood...
Rice Paddies... lots of them.
We spent our 4th of July... can you guess? Indoors! The festivities on post were cancelled due to weather (was a bit premature since the weather was HUMID but fine) so I made a dinner of veggie spring rolls and thai noodles. No oven required.
The weekend before that we had a short visit with friends...
And visited 'The Last Saturday of the Month' Festival in the Ville (closest town). 
Our friends also introduced us to the deliciousness below. Pretty much the only way to counteract the Korean humidity is to consume an entire bowl of Patbingsu. It's ice cream meets shaved ice topped with fruit, red beans, crunchy cereal bits, etc etc. 
The fruit one was my favorite but we tried the original (below) just for good measure.
We also all shared a giant Strawberry Mochi. 
We found all these goodies at the Baskin Robbins in Pyeontaek. 
Afterwards, the boys shared a bulgogi burger from McDonalds.
And some of our other favorites that we've tried so far include the Bulgogi Ramen (or Ramen in general)...
Steamed mandu...
the cucumber kimchi...
and the spicy yaki mandu that will make you sweat more than you already are... 
-----

Hoping to get out a little this weekend weather permitting... if only to get me some patbingsu.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...