Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Park, picture, potty....

On our last full day in Italy we had a packed agenda. Of course we did.
We were about an hour drive from Pisa so we headed there first after breakfast knowing that we weren't going to spend that much time there.
Park the car, take some pictures, use the potty.
That was the plan.
Oh and see the Duomo because my mom says it's one of her favorites (and this lady has been in a lot of churches... trust me.)
We spent about 3 hours in Pisa (I even ran into our health educator from Heidelberg while going to the bathroom... small, small world) and that was enough to see everything we wanted to see.
We then headed the 30 or so minutes to Lucca where we would spend the rest of our day.
Candles are so old school.... it seems Italian churches have rid themselves of the potential fire hazards we know as candles and moved into this century with awkward electric lights that take forever to work. Personally, I enjoyed and preferred the tea light method as it took me about 5 extra minutes to find a glorified glow stick that would light up which led to frustration which put a damper on my 50 euro cent prayer experience.
Okay, we did what we came to do.
----
It took only minutes for me to completely fall in love with Lucca.
It's a most gorgeous walled city and it was drenched with the colors of Fall.
It felt considerably less touristy than Florence and Pisa which was appreciated...
the streets were relatively quiet... yet lively.
We wandered around until we found a place a little off the main streets to eat and then we spent the rest of the afternoon walking, swinging, and wandering.
I could live there.
Just saying.
I loved all the little details of the city. You could find them everywhere.
Even though it was a wonderful trip, I looked forward to our prop plane taking off.
We were ready for home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...