Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I felt like a girl of sixteen again...

Guten Tag everyone! I'd like to begin this blog with a sincere apology for the lack of bloggage, which was a result of having no (eek) internet in our home for the past week. It's been rough and I have suffered from diarrhea of the mouth as I've cursed our internet provider for not getting here in a timely manner. But hey, it's Europe, and these Germans just don't understand this American's addiction to her internet. We're all on the same page now and I can move on with my life (which includes hourly inbox checks and myspace cruising).




So here's an update...




January 16: I took my German driving test... 100 questions, missed 4. I still refuse to get behind the wheel, but I will soon, if only to blog about it. I've included a few sample questions for your enjoyment. Good luck.


1)Emergency warning equipment should be stored where?


a. In the trunk of the car.
b. In the passenger compartment under the front seat.
c. In the garage or storage area until needed.



2)Kilometers may be converted to miles by multiplying the kilometers by 6 and then dropping the last digit.


a. True.
b. False.



3)In the city where no priority signs are posted, the driver on the widest street has the right-of-way.


a. True.
b. False.



4)When a streetcar comes up behind a driver’s vehicle while the driver is waiting to make a left turn, the driver must do which of the following?


a. Move to the next block or to some point where a left turn can be made without holding up the streetcar.
b. Maintain his or her position, because the streetcar does not have the right-of-way.
c. Wait until oncoming traffic is clear and then make the turn.



5)A vehicle is considered to be parked when the driver leaves the vehicle or the vehicle has been stopped for longer than which of the following?
a. 2 minutes.
b. 3 minutes.
c. 5 minutes.



Answer Key: 1) B. 2) A. 3) B. 4) A. 5) B. [If you got a 100%... I'm proud of you... but ask me about the round abouts and signs here in Germany and it may be another story.]


Anyways, moral to the driving test story... get the hell out of the way of streetcars, don't run out of gas on the autobahn (fines), and always, ALWAYS go the speed limit to avoid being *flashed* (cameras). Oh and knowing some of the 1000 different road signs may give you an advantage as well. {test questions courtesy of Army in Europe pamphlet 190-34)


Next...


Last week, Chad and I took a German head start course. The course was an orientation course welcoming us to Germany, but also included information on German culture and language. My favorite words include unique characters, so I am unable to use them now, so we'll stick with the German culture portion of head start. Germany, like the US, consists of different states. Our state, Baden-Wurttemberg (note: The German 'W' is pronounced like our 'V'), is the third wealthiest city in Germany. It is also considered a Swabian area, which means many speak a unique dialect of German. Customs are different too, when compared with Bavaria. Come visit for a more in depth lesson.


With this course, we also took a trip to downtown Stuttgart, which can only be summed up in photos (that's what everyone wants to see anyways... right?)



This pictures was taken on the 'Zack' train going uphill.



Blumenladen (flower shop in Stuttgart).



Chad and me in downtown Stuttgart. The street behind us is for pedestrian traffic only... lots of restaurants.



Must take a minute to show you my new 'Euro' shoes. Hideous but comfortable.




A plaza.... again, pedestrians only, restaurants and shopping.

Markthall (indoor market)... think Ferry Building in San Francisco.


Bakerei on the left... otherwise known as 'Amy's favorite German excursion.' (Bakery)



The indoor market is more pricey... however, across the street in the central plaza is an outdoor market with better prices...



And you can buy wine on the street. I'm sold.












Rosa Maria and me (she's from Italy... Amalfi Coast area) having a Swabian lunch and beer.


All the comforts of home.


The following pictures are all taken on top of the Hauptbahnhof (main train station)







Look how cute my husband looks with his (new) scarf.





Here at the Hauptbahnhof you can board a train and be in Paris in 3 1/2 hours. Hopefully that will be one of our future trips.

I hope you enjoy the photos... and don't think I'm done. I'm going to blog at least 2 more times today in order to catch up.

Bis dann!

Until then!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...