Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sweet, little, collie girl Gnocchi...

When we took Gnocchi in two years ago we quickly learned that she was a Collie with serious issues.
In her first year of life, Gnocchi experienced severe abuse and neglect which resulted in a plethora of frustrating behaviors.
Even though we consulted Collie rescues in the states and googled oversea rescues hoping to find someone -or anyone- better qualified to care for a dog like her, before we knew it Gnocchi was an important member of our family.
Her sweet disposition and pink-spotted nose melted our hearts and with a lot of love and even more patience she became comfortable, confident and an overall great companion.
Gnocchi and Meatloaf became my constant companions in times when I was alone. sick. sad. alone. lonely. tired. alone.
I always had my dogs.
Their little feet shuffling through the house.
I love it.
Unfortunately, it is no surprise that our lifestyle isn't conducive for a dog with acclimation issues.
Moving every few years is hard enough on the human species... throw in a skittish, fearful Collie- it's a bad mix.
So, against our (my) will. We started looking for a more permanent-German-home for Gnocchi.
It was no surprise to us that a lovely couple...
looking to fill their home with everything dog (after losing their own dog in April)-
fell in love with our Gnocchi-girl and decided she was their missing piece.
And so, Thursday night I went to kiss the snout of our Collie one last time.
And I cried.
Like a baby.
I know that Gnocchi will have a wonderful life... which will include...
a diet (as she is a little overweight).
19 km walks.
Dog friends.
A 'grosse garten' (big yard).
And most importantly, a stable, loving environment.
Even though we know it's in Gnocchi's best interest...we still miss her like hell.

Dogs are miracles with paws. - Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry... reading this post breaks my heart, I totally understand the lost that you are grieving. I have a 12 year old Westie, he puts so much joy in my everyday life but he's also there when life is difficult.

Collies are such great dogs... and she is so,so beautiful!!! I'm really crying with you and feel so sorry.

Amy said...

Thank you for the kind words. We miss her... think about her... hope she's doing well and hope to see her soon (as she lives up the street now).

I love Westies! Enjoy him!

ALF said...

I'm crying now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...