Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ulm Christmas Market

I know the holiday season has officially come to an end and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm glad.
I didn't even wait till New Years to remove our Christmas tree. I couldn't take another day of pine needles and drooping branches. I love Christmas.... I love Christmas trees... I love the ornaments, wreaths, baking....
for one month.
Then I want my house back to normal- decoration free, wrapping recycled, cookies distributed.
The end.
(Until November 25th of next year.)

There is one holiday season practice that never gets old... those Christmas markets.
I do currently get nauseated at the thought of gluhwein but that should pass in the next few weeks and I will miss all that comes with German (and French) Christmas Markets.

With that said, I have a few market visits that I didn't get to cover before Christmas... one of them being our visit to the Ulm market.

I had heard mixed reviews about Ulm's market but we had been to Stuttgart's twice at that point and the weather wasn't that great so we chose Ulm because it was new and only an hours drive away.

I've only been to Ulm one other time but I enjoy the city. I think it's pretty nice and they have a lot of shopping. You know... if you're into that kind of thing.
Anyways...
I had heard their market was small but I wouldn't consider it so.
It surrounded the Ulm Minster (um, which is quite large) so it was big enough for me.
Unfortunately, it was practically freezing and the babies stopped cooperating so we ended up going into a Tapas bar and spending the rest of the evening there.

Then we went to Ikea and Toys 'R' Us before calling it a night.


----

Birds are the mascots of Ulm. The tale goes that the timbers of the church wouldn't fit through the gates around the walled city until the builders saw a bird fly through the gate, holding a twig, by turning it to a 90 degree angle. After rotating the timbers, the building of the cathedral could continue...
Read more about the Ulm Christmas Market here.

1 comment:

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

Oh i love christmas its my favourite time of the year ,and these photos are just fantastic id love to visit these parts of the world one day ,,, who knows maby once the children fly the coop lol , sadly christmas was not a happy time for us this year , my mum passed away 7 weeks before hand on my daughters 16th birthday !! and its still very hard but i guess we just have to keep on going!!

Blessings Heidi..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...