Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life As A Military Wife

this blog has nothing to do with travel... nor Germany. It's about life essentially. Chad is gone doing land and night navigation. For me that means a day and night alone without Chad. The house is quiet, there was no dinner, the dogs are no longer waiting at the window for his return home.
We are all just sitting. Or in Meatloaf's case: sleeping. We're a pretty pathetic bunch.
Nights like this take me back to my 31 Acevedo days. The many nights I spent in our quaint townhouse alone while my roommates were out in the city with their significant others.
It was lonely. I'm not going to lie. At that time all I had of Chad were letters, random phone calls, and memories. I was lonely, alone in San Francisco but Chad was lonely, and alone in Iraq.
I think we would all choose San Francisco if given the choice.
I believe I was stronger in those days. But only because I had to be. Knowing that there was no chance that I could ever see Chad in a day [or if I would ever see him again] is enough to make anyone feel empty. Somehow, amidst the feelings of loneliness, I felt strong and secure.
This evening, unfortunately, doesn't feel the same. I'm not as strong as I use to be.... but maybe it's because I don't have to be.
These days I rest assured that my husband will be home between 7 and 8 every evening. He'll throw his ACU's [for civilian folk, those are their sexy green numbers that they wear on a daily basis] in a pile by the black bookcase. He'll leave his sweaty PT clothes in his gym back to marinate over night. He'll ask about dinner and kiss me 'hello'. Then he'll go take a bath upstairs and talk to the dogs.
I must admit, when I use to get lonely I would think about what it would be like when we could be together... and let's just say... I didn't have THAT in mind.
But we'll say grace and have dinner at our table, take the dogs out and get ready for bed.
Come 930, we're tucked in... sharing thoughts, discussing our days, and holding hands.
Now that's more like it.
Then the weirdest thing happens...... as I fall asleep [usually after Chad], while still holding hands... I'm strong again.
Because he's home... safe... and we're together [in Europe none the less].




*While typing this blog, Chad called. He's on his way home. He hurt himself in a fall during day navigation and night navi was cancelled. Upon entering the house he tracked in mud on my newly mopped floors, stunk up the entire second floor, and asked me to shake his clothes out for ticks. It took ALL I had to continue this blog in a positive, loving way. How'd I do?*


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...