Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Copenhagen Day 1

Our cruise left out of Copenhagen so because I'm crazy and 9 days on a boat isn't a long enough vacation we decided to spend 2.5 days in the city before embarking on the cruise.
Even though Copenhagen wasn't on my bucket list, I was excited to go to Denmark to meet the happiest people on the planet.
I mean... what's their secret?
The french hot dog maybe?
The WORLD'S best restaurant, Noma?
How about all that windmill generated power?
I don't know.
I never did find out but we had a nice time nonetheless.
-------------------
Our flight left Stuttgart at 6 in the morning... it's an international flight which means you have to be there 2 hours prior to take off.
We also had to finish packing, shower, dress the baby, etc. which meant we were up at 3 in the morning.
We arrived in Copenhagen by 930 and thanks to my good planning, our hotel was connected to the airport.
Bless the sweet, swiss born Hilton trainee for allowing us to check in... we sacrificed having a room on a higher floor with a better view but at that point we had been up for 7 hours and been on two flights.
I'll take the room on the 5th floor, no worries.

After regrouping we hit the city.
First up, harbor tour.
--------------------------
Before traveling anywhere, I usually invest in a Top 10 book. I find them to have just enough information to get you by for a good price and they are smaller than some of the other travel guides out there. I try to avoid looking lost and clueless whenever possible but sometimes it happens.
This trip included... twice.
We eventually found the harbor tours and it probably wasn't our fault that we got lost and wandered aimlessly in the rain for 30 minutes because they were doing construction along the harbor which may have had an impact on our map (our map reading abilities... I can't be so sure of) and did I mention we woke up at 3? Ok.
We started our tour in Nyhavn... a once bustling port and now a bustling street with bars and restaurants galore.
And cute little houses.
The boys... SUPER excited about this harbor tour. At least it stopped raining!
Below is where the monarchy live... think Buckingham Palace of Denmark.
Church of Our Savior... both Chad and I commented on the fact that if my mom had been there we'd be hoofing it up to the top.
We didn't think that was very safe nor manageable with the baby though.
Christiansborg Palace below... for Parliament and Ministry of State.
After our harbor tour ended we needed a little snack and decided on the french hot dog.
Essentially it's a juicy, delicious, roasted hot dog jammed into a french roll.
Heaven.
We ended up wandering around aimlessly after that because I had planned on going to a museum but we just didn't have the energy.
Conveniently around dinner time, we found ourselves in an Indian restaurant outside of central station where we had the most delicious food and a server that I feared was going to snatch Rhett and run out the back door. She loved him so.
After dinner, we got on the bus and headed back to the hotel.
----------------------

So here's a little recap for you.... 3 am wake up call, 2 flights, train to downtown Copenhagen, boat ride, hot dog, walk (a lot), dinner, hotel.
What a day.

Next up, Chad's only Danish request.... VIKINGS.

1 comment:

Rachel Haack said...

As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pics of your travels, it must be said that Mr. Rhett steals the show, hands down. That face, so darling!

Rae

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...