Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Copenhagen Day 2

When I asked Chad what he wanted to see on our trip to Denmark he said one word.
"Vikings."
Honestly, I was a little perplexed. Denmark didn't say 'Vikings' to me but okay, we'll roll with it.
According to my book, THERE were vikings in Denmark (and most Nordic regions)... silly me... and to commemorate that part of their history they even have a Viking Museum in a little town outside of Copenhagen called Roskilde.

Roskilde was about a 30 minute train ride from Central Station.
Once we arrived in Roskilde, we had to wait for about an hour for the one bus that stops at the Viking Museum.
It was at that time that I realized I had forgotten to throw in the baggie with Rhett's lunch in it.
It was conveniently packed and placed on the desk back at the hotel.
And even though I tried to fill Rhett's stomach with fruit puffs and veggie sticks I knew they weren't going to cut it.
Fortunately for us, while waiting that hour for our bus Chad had enough time to visit a Danish grocery store and pick up some baby food. Phew. Crisis averted.

We eventually made it to the museum with a full bellied baby and we stepped on a Viking vessel, watched a man carve a traditional vessel, learned about how they recover and restore the remnants of the Viking's boats and the restored boats themselves.
This museum also offers 'Viking' boat rides which we could not partake in because they don't have life vests for babies.
The highlight of the trip for Chad was dressing up in a viking cloak alongside Rhett.
Really? He loved it.

After the museum and the train ride back we were too exhausted to go back into the city so we ordered room service and called it a day... uh... night.

You like vikings too? Check out the museum here.

2 comments:

Claire said...

WOW! WOW! ... Wow, This reminds me so much of the time I spent in Denmark nearly 7 years ago... We went to all the same places, including the Viking boats in Roskilde. WOW! It sure looks like you're having a good time. I know I did, Copenhagen is a wonderful city. Thank you so much for bringing back some of those memories for me just when I needed them (I lost all my photos from my holiday there when my old computer broke).

Claire x
(www.still-listening-on-your-behalf.blogspot.com)

Amy said...

Thanks so much Claire!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...