Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Berlin... again....

My parents had a couple days of down time (if you consider watching a 14 month old while suffering from jet lag "down time") before hitting the road to Berlin.
Even though we visited Berlin this summer on our cruise, I didn't mind going back because there is literally enough shopping, sightseeing, eating to stay a month and not experience it all.
The only part I wasn't looking forward to was the driving... which we opted to do because the train was still more expensive than our rental car... err... van, gas and one night hotel stay in Nuremberg.
Breaking up the driving the first day was ideal and it allowed us to view a little bit of Nuremberg too.
Nuremberg is two hours (and 19 minutes) away from Stuttgart. After eating breakfast, we stretched our legs a bit before the 4 hour drive to Berlin.
We strolled through the Handwerkerhof (Crafter's Yard) and down the main shopping street.
We didn't spend too much time here because we were returning the day after Thanksgiving for their Christmas market (more on that later).
When we arrived in Berlin it was dark. Of course it was.
We were also starving since no one had ate anything with substance since breakfast. Turns out, animal crackers and water just don't cut it.
Anyways...
our first adventure in Berlin was finding a warm place to eat that could accommodate our stroller. This was harder than you could imagine but we found a place and it was so good (and spacious) that we ate there twice.
The next day my mom (you know where this is going) dragged the entire family around for what the men estimate was 20 miles in order to see all of Berlin.
I know I can always count on my mom to walk us to point where tiny fluid filled blisters emerge in between each of my toes.
Thanks, Mom!
------
Now that my feet have fully recovered, I can reflect on our trip to Berlin with a positive approach.
I mean, what is there not to like about a city that boasts oodles of shopping, a man-made hill for sledding, a 4th generation chocolate shop, schnecken suppe (snail soup... yes, it's true) and a Hotel California?



Absolutely nothing.

disclaimer:
although my toes did have blisters...
gooey, sticky ones...
i don't blame my mom.
i should know by now to wear
cotton filled, orthopedic snow boots
while traveling anywhere with her...
she is a machine.
but her feet hurt too in the end.
that's all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...