Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

#6 Ludwigsburg Christmas Market

Ludwigsburg is unlike any other Christmas market that we've visited. It is a baroque Christmas market after all. What makes it baroque I can't be sure of but my guess is the location... it's situated near the most beautiful setting of baroque churches.... right up the street from one of our favorite places to visit, Ludwigsburg Palace. This market was really lovely. Sure, it had the typical Christmas market fair... wood combs and fleece purses... but it also had a lot of antiques, unique ornaments and hand-crafted jewelry. They also had some interesting food items... falafel, for instance, which was DELICIOUS. I kind of want to go back for some more. They also served Empanadas there which I have never seen at any other Christmas market in Germany, France, or Austria. Chad and I also shared a dampfnudel... a steamed dumpling filled with jam, swimming in a creamy vanilla and chocolate sauce with cinnamon. YUM. I had never seen these before either and I had to scour the internet for their name. A sweet gentleman at the market told Chad that he thought they were filled with plum jam but I thought it tasted more like a berry. Either way it was wonderful.
The only thing that made this market more enjoyable was when soft snow flakes started falling from the sky and Chad and I wrapped up our evening with a walk near the palace while catching snow flakes on our tongues.
Ludwigsburg never disappoints.


For more information about Ludwigsburg's Baroque Christmas Market, go here.
I also just read that in addition to the two baroque churches, the market is set up in a way that is reminiscent of a baroque city, hence, a baroque market. Ta-da.

1 comment:

Rachel Haack said...

Falafels are amazing. And your posting of Christmas markets has made me decide I can't consider my life truly "lived" until I visit them one day. Bucket list item for sure!

Merry Christmas, kiss that cute son of yours for me!

rae

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...